|Amal Nahurriyeh (amalnahurriyeh) wrote in philedom,|
@ 2011-04-25 01:14 am UTC
|Entry tags:||philedom olympics: 2011|
And here is the first challenge post for Philedom Olympics 2011!
Today, we will be playing X-Files Quote Hangman. If you aren't familiar with the basic rules of the game, check the wikipedia entry. You can also see the X-Files version as played on the TWoP forums.
The basic rules are these:
1) I will put down a list of blanks that represent a quote from an X-Files episode.
2) You all will guess letters. Each guess is worth 2 points; however, you cannot guess a second time until you've gotten a response from me that I've got your letter (to prevent people stealing all the points, *g*).
3) When I check in (which will be 6-8 hours from this posting, and then again at least once an hour), I will fill in all the correctly guessed letters, and put the others in the penalty box (since I cannot come up with a good way to draw the hanging-guy graphic). If we get 10 letters in the penalty box, then the game is over, and we all lose, sadface.
4) If you think you know what the quote is, guess it! If you are right, you get 5 points for winning (in addition to points for whatever guesses you've done).
5) Once the puzzle has been solved, I will put up a second! And a third, depending on how long it takes! We'll close it out in about 24 hours or so.
I sincerely hope this makes sense, as I'm about to go to bed!
And, without further ado, today's first puzzle:
Solved, as of 8:39 AM New York/ 12:39 UTC, by flourish! The answer:
SOLVED! As of 1:33 PM New York/ 5:33 PM UTC, by wendelah1 and littlegreen42 (I'm giving them both the win because of rule-confusion).
SCULLY: It's a natural phenomenon in which phosphine and methane rising from decaying organic matter ignite, creating globes of blue flame.
MULDER: Happens to me when I eat Dodger Dogs.
Two vague rule clarifications:
1) You can (and should!) guess letters already guessed in previous rounds in subsequent ones. Otherwise, we could have problems.
2) While excessive use of google-fu to crack a puzzle is not precisely in the spirit of the game, running to a transcript site to make sure you've got the whole quote correct when you're pretty sure you know it is not a problem.
Without further ado, puzzle #3!
SOLVED as of 5:10 PM New York / 9:10 PM UTC, by <user name=heartequals>!
CIGARETTE SMOKING MAN: What I don't want to see is the Bills winning the Super Bowl. As long as I'm alive, that doesn't happen!
On to #4:
SOLVED! By <joy_and_thunder> at 7:52 PM New York/11:52 PM UTC.
SCULLY: Like evidence of conjury or the black arts or shamanism, divination, Wicca or any kind of pagan or neo-pagan practice, charms, cards, familiars, bloodstones, or hex signs or any of the ritual tableaux associated with the occult, Santeria, voudoun, Macumba, or any high or low magic?
MULDER: Marry me.
And let's go with #5! A shorter one.
SOLVED! By azurelunatic at 1:13 AM New York/ 5:13 UTC.
SCULLY: You ever thought seriously about dying?
MULDER: Yeah, once, when I was at the Ice Capades.
Thanks to everyone for playing! Today's challenge is closed, but stay tuned for tomorrow's...